Maximise the longevity of your rainwater harvesting system
SA Health Department recommends rainwater tanks be inspected for sludge accumulation every 2 years.
Regular maintenance of your water tank will ensure that your tank and components last as long as possible and will help keep your tank water clean and healthy. Poly tanks require much less maintenance than steel tanks which can corrode and rust over time without proper maintenance and care. Regular inspections of your rainwater tank should be undertaken every 6 months and should include:
- Gutters & roof check catchment areas for leaf material and debris. Clear away any overhanging branches.
- Filters & strainers check they are in place; clean if required.
- Inlets & outlets check and clean tank entry points.
- Pipework check pipes to your tank are in good condition.
- Pump system check and maintain.
- Tank base check for any erosion or undermining. Immediately rectify if this has occurred.
Remember: Water quality is only as good as the catchment area!
For more information visit: "Guidance on the use of Rainwater Tanks" from SA Health.